ANZOS holds and is involved in a number of events each year, the biggest being its Annual Scientific Meeting (ASM) held in October of each year.
The ASM provides an opportunity for members together with local and international guests to present their research for review and discussion. It also allows members the occasion to comment upon and contribute to the work program of ANZOS. All presentations are published in a recognised medical research journal.
The 2013 ASM was held in Melbourne.
The 2012 ASM was held in Auckland, New Zealand at the Rendezvous Hotel.
The 2011 ASM was held in Adelaide at the National Wine Centre of Australia.
The 2010 ASM was held in Sydney at the Hilton Hotel.
The 2009 ASM was held in Melbourne at the Sebel - Citigate Albert Park Hotel.
The 2008 ASM was held in Brisbane at the Rydges Southbank Hotel.
The 2007 ASM was held in Canberra at the Rydges Lakeside Hotel.
The 10th International Congress on Obesity was held in Sydney in 2006 (No ASM held)
The 2005 ASM was held in Adelaide at the Stamford Grand Hotel Glenelg.
ANZOS has been involved in a number of obesity-related activities, strategies and initiatives. It has been effective in promoting discussion on the need for improved obesity management and prevention strategies based on evidence of benefit.
- In 1995 the Society produced a discussion document titled “Healthy Weight Australia: A National Obesity Strategy” which initiated discussion on the need for a national policy on obesity.
- The Society supported the establishment of the NHMRC Working Party on the Prevention of Overweight and Obesity and made a significant contribution to the development of their report.
- The Society has taken a leading role in the development of further obesity prevention and management strategies through its work with the National Obesity Prevention Group, and by organising joint initiatives with government departments and other health organisations. It is also engaging other health and government organisations in the Australasian region.
- In 2003, ANZOS established two scholarships, to support students undertaking study in issues associated with obesity.
- ANZOS members have been involved in the development and promotion of the National Health & Medical Research Council (NHMRC) Clinical Practice Guidelines for the Management of Overweight and Obesity in Adults, Adolescents and Children (2003).
- ANZOS was involved in the organisation of the 10th International Congress of Obesity which was held in Sydney, Australia in September 2006. This congress attracted a wide range of national and international delegates.
Search ANZOS site:
We have 274 guests and no members online