ANZOS has been involved in a number of obesity-related activities, strategies and initiatives. It has been effective in promoting discussion on the need for improved obesity management and prevention strategies based on evidence of benefit.
- In 1995 the Society produced a discussion document titled “Healthy Weight Australia: A National Obesity Strategy” which initiated discussion on the need for a national policy on obesity.
- The Society supported the establishment of the NHMRC Working Party on the Prevention of Overweight and Obesity and made a significant contribution to the development of their report.
- The Society has taken a leading role in the development of further obesity prevention and management strategies through its work with the National Obesity Prevention Group, and by organising joint initiatives with government departments and other health organisations. It is also engaging other health and government organisations in the Australasian region.
- In 2003, ANZOS established two scholarships, to support students undertaking study in issues associated with obesity.
- ANZOS members have been involved in the development and promotion of the National Health & Medical Research Council (NHMRC) Clinical Practice Guidelines for the Management of Overweight and Obesity in Adults, Adolescents and Children (2003).
- ANZOS was involved in the organisation of the 10th International Congress of Obesity which was held in Sydney, Australia in September 2006. This congress attracted a wide range of national and international delegates.
Search ANZOS site:
We have 111 guests and 2 members online